Monday, January 7, 2013

Christmas the Africa Mercy Way


As the Christmas week began, it honestly felt funny. The air felt different here, and It felt weird to be on a ship in Africa. To be without snow, or at least the colder air. To be without my family and friends at home, and to be prepping for the holiday. To be sitting outside on a deck reading a book in the sun and not out hurrying around buying gifts, trying to make sure I find everyone the “perfect” thing. This Christmas has put so much in perspective, and reminded me that once again, my God provides--even when I doubt him. I headed into the season not really sure what to expect, allowing myself to remain even-keel. Not too excited, just in case things didn’t turn out alright. But I am happy to say that once again, I am reminded that I just need to trust in Him. I have felt loved every single minute of the last few weeks. Surrounded by friends, who are in the same boat---literally. We banded together, happy to be with our Mercy Ships family. We spent so much time together that it was easy to be reminded of our purpose here, to spend the Saviors birth in a place where we have all been called. My Christmas day was spent working on the wards, passing out the donated presents, loving on the patients, and honestly feeling so much love from them in return. We had a large community gathering to celebrate on Christmas Eve, and at the end we sang silent night. The song itself is so powerful, but to sing it in a room with so many people from all over the world singing the same words in English, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Swedish (and those were just the ones we put on the screen for the rest of us non-native speakers to fumble through) Afterwards we gathered on the upper deck for a white elephant gift exchange, munching on snacks and gazing at the stars. All of the packages from the US and Europe were delayed and no-one was really able to receive their gifts from home on time. Everyone at home was really concerned that we wouldn’t have anything to open on Christmas-- But it really was okay. I was reminded that gifts are not what matter, but that family and friends are the most important thing. Without all the gifts, we were able to be wrapped up in the moment and enjoy what we did have--- each other from all corners of the globe. I have felt so amazing loved this holiday season by people from home. My email full of Christmas messages and well wishes, cards arrived in the mail from friends and from people that I haven’t even met----encouraging me and loving me from afar. I had one gift that snuck through and arrived in time and how it couldn’t have been more perfect. Christmas afternoon when I got off shift I sat in my room and opened a package of pure love--pictures and cards sent from my STL community. The beautiful notes from so many fantastic kiddos who I miss dearly. Some of my favorite cards said things like, “are you making friends?” “I really wish you would tell me something that is going on with you.”, and “I miss you, please come home”. It was beautiful, and a reminder that even though I am here reaching a whole new group of people, this community is temporary. That I still have a group of people, awaiting my arrival back into the States and our corner of the “real world”. So this holiday season I hope that you also felt loved, that you felt cared for, and that you know no matter where you are in the world you are special. Thank you for making a difference to someone, even if you don’t see that impact just yet.
All of us with our White Elephant gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment