Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What's gotten me lately.....


Life on board this ship is a simple existence. It is taking life and breaking it down to its core, void of the distractions of the first world. Here we live in a tight community, go to work literally 30 seconds away from our cabins, have all of our meals prepared for us, wear the same clothes we brought in suitcases, spend our nights with games, movies long talks, and sunsets. We fill our weekends with adventures off the ship with groups of friends that we didn’t know 6 months ago or for some even a few weeks ago. We don’t have to commute, need to worry about bills, the best new coffee shop, or worry about the current trends. We get to live simply-- to do life with one another, worshiping our God, and serving His people in Guinea. So life here is slightly predictable, it has similar trends week to week and is a peaceful place to be. It’s honestly the most content I have ever been in my life. I fit here, and I want to share with you just a few things that have spruced up my life this week onboard the Africa Mercy:
--Granola---> I had some intentional time with a wonderful lady on board this past week and as we chatted we made granola. This seemingly unexciting thing brought my heart so much joy. It reminds me of home, of our little nest of an apartment in Tower Grove, and of a dear friend/roommate who makes the very best heart warming granola (shout out to Whitney Riley-Kline-- wooot woooot)
--Guitar lessons---> Yes, one of my documented life goals is in the works. My patient, loving, fantastic friend Lydia has taken up the huge undertaking of teaching me to play. I have a few cords down, can switch cords with a pause between, honestly can’t play anything resembling a song yet, but I have loved every single second of trying. 
--Pre-donation testing for blood--> That’s right! I am one step closer to being able to donate blood. Turns out that they might want my A negative blood after all! I am not going to lie, I have been praying for this since my arrival, and when I received the note on my door yesterday I did a small leap/dance/jig in the hallway. 
--Notes from friends---> my two bests that left on the 9th gave me a gift before they left. They wrote out a note for me for each day remaining in the outreach. So each morning, before I even put in my contacts, I take the one from the day before, tack it up on my wall, and with great delight read the message for that day. It has been an awesome way to feel connected to them as they go back to daily life on separate continents. The realization is this, we are three friends, on three continents--undeniably one of the hardest parts of having friends from all over the globe. 
--Camping--> I have always loved camping, grew up doing it, and just for some odd reason loving sleeping outside, dirt on my feet, washing my face with bagged water and rocking greasy hair......This past weekend we spent a night on the island (view my older post/photos on the island) and somehow sleeping in a hammock, cooking meals together over hot coals, and sitting around a campfire on the beach was the best medicine to my soul. I feel so refreshed, happy, and ready to face this week. I may or may not have already began planning a camping trip upcountry for March......what can I say? When in Africa....camp?
--Discipline--> I am a wild horse at heart, stubborn and rebellious and God is breaking me of that. It is hard, but so wonderful. He is teaching me daily discipline in so many aspects, and my need for something that we should learn as children: Self-discipline....So if you are prayerfully minded/inclined/need some discipline too, that is something that you all can pray for. That I just continue to give it up, stop fighting his loving hands, and just rest in him....

What’s gotten you this week? I would love to hear what’s heavy on your heart or lightly dancing on the periphery---send me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment