Tuesday, September 18, 2012

It's picture time!!!!

I promised that I would post--so here are a few pictures of life in Guinea this far!
 Line wrapping up and down the coast as people waited to get inside the compound for screening day!

More lines



This is the "history" taking area that I worked on screening day. People patiently shuffled themselves chair to chair until they reached the front. 


This girl was ALL smiles, ALL day! I can't wait to see her when she returns for surgery









 This is one of my favorite patients down on the wards--she was the one who wanted me to meet her family!


                                     
This lovely man was in our ward for 6 days and he became a father figure of the unit. He was constantly encouraging other patients, cheering them on through their treatment, settling disputes, and welcoming each new face showing them the lay of the land. I had the honor of caring for him every shift I worked, and yesterday I was able to discharge him. As I walked him out to the dock he kept thanking me, telling me he would miss us, and after our last of many hugs he started to cry. Of course my eyes welled up also, and as he walked away I watched him wipe away the tears streaming down his face. Today he stopped by the ward to say hello--I don't think he will be able to stay away---not that I mind :) 

This little guy is the sunshine in our unit. He is such a snuggler, and LOVES to play. He is very ticklish, silly, and energetic. He LOVES coloring, bouncing balloons, and washing his hands with the automatic hand sanitizer dispenser!  He had a large tumor removed from his eye socket and is still sporting the bulky dressing that has become such a part of his goofy smile. When he and his poppa head back to Sierra Leone the ward will miss them so very much. For now, I will just enjoy every single minute I have with him!!!!



I hope you all enjoyed the pictures~ Hannah



2 comments:

  1. LOVED the pictures!!! Nathan says you got tan! We miss you-

    5icu

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have story time when we get a second at night just to check up on you :) you're always in our thoughts! We miss you tons!!! sending love and prayers! xox
    Nicole, Eric, Dana, Katie G & Nathan :D

    ReplyDelete